Astaxanthin is one of the hottest trending terms in skin care in the year 2017. According to webmd, Astaxanthin is a reddish pigment that belongs to a group of chemicals called carotenoids. It occurs naturally in certain algae and causes the pink or red color in salmon, trout, lobster, shrimp, and other seafood.
Okay. But what is it to a common man?
It is a very powerful, naturally occurring antioxidant. So much so, it is claimed there is no other natural antioxidant more powerful than astaxanthin. By means of comparison, it is claimed to be 550 times and 6000 times more powerful than vitamins E and C respectively. It can handle a variety of free radicals at the same time unlike most antioxidants which can only deal with one free radical at any given time.
While the exact benefits cannot be guaranteed, it is claimed to be useful in a number of bodily functions such as eye health, brain and heart health, skin health to name a few.
In this article we are going to discuss the benefits it can have on our skin.
- The highlight of this antioxidant is that it never becomes a pro-oxidant and hence never causes any harmful oxidation
- It is known to have anti aging properties. Astaxanthin can smoothen our skin by reducing freckles, wrinkles and other age spots
- It helps improve the moisture levels in the skin giving it more elasticity
- Astaxanthin also protects the skin against UV rays. While it does not actually block the UV rays themselves, it does protect the skin against the damage associated with sun exposure. Because of its potent antioxidant properties, it neutralizes the free radicals produced by the sun’s rays and prevents the typical damage caused by sunburn
Astaxanthin side effects:
- It is considerably safe to consume the amount of astaxanthin found in food
- It is mostly safe when consumed orally in limited quantities for a prescribed period of time
Note of Caution:
There is clear lack of knowledge available on consumption of astaxanthin for pregnant and breast feeding women. Hence, it is advisable to be on the safe side and avoid its consumption.
To know more about it, please do contact us.