Chemical peeling is a treatment wherein a chemical solution is applied to the skin that makes the skin peel off. Skin peeling is primarily done to improve the skin’s appearance. Chemical peeling in Bangalore has gained extreme popularity in the past few years. It is because it gives almost instant results. Instant in this case would mean as soon as the skin has peeled off.
The common agents used for chemical peels are glycolic acid, salicylic acid, tricholoroacetic acid, otherwise combination peels. The chemical solution can be of different concentrations and is advised by the cosmetologist doing the procedure.
For what conditions can chemical peel be used?
Chemical peels can be done on the face, neck or hands. It is primarily done in:
- Treating superficial acne scars
- Treating certain types of acne
- Reducing age spots and freckles
- Improving the overall look and feel of the skin
- Used as an anti ageing treatment
- Treating facical pigmentation / melasma
- For facial rejuvenation
- Reducing wrinkles and fine lines on the face
Chemical peel is NOT advised:
- In cases of facial hyperpigmentation and acne in pregnant women. These conditions are related to hormonal changes during pregnancy and are likely to subside post delivery
- In patients with active infection or wound at the site of peeling
- Patients with keloidal tendencies, and
- Patients with unrealistic expectations
Chemical peel side effects:
Chemical peel is an absolutely safe procedure with certain temporary and non-invasive side effects
- Irritation and burning at the site of peeling
- Erythema or redness that may persist for 2-3 days post peel
- Reactivation of herpes infection or secondary bacterial infection at the site of peel
- Dispigmentation (hyper or hypo pigmentation following peel)
Since a patient’s skin is slightly sensitive post a chemical peel, it is hence advised to use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30+ before stepping out in the sun.
To summarize, the best person to guide you on how to go about chemical peeling is your dermatologist. You must always bear in mind that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to chemical peeling.
To book a sitting with our dermatologist, please do contact us.