What is Hair Regrowth / Hair Transplant?
Hair Transplant is commonly understood as hair regrowth treatment / baldness treatment / hair replacement treatment / hair plantation treatment. So, what is Hair Transplant exactly? Just like the name suggests, hair replacement is a procedure wherein hair follicles are replaced. They are taken from one part and implanted in another. Simply put, hair follicles are taken from the part of the scalp with good hair and lesser chances of thinning / balding (such as the back of the head) and is transplanted to the part of the scalp facing hair loss (such as a receding hairline or patchy baldness). The part of the scalp that donates the hair follicle is known as donor site and the part that receives it, recipient site.
How does hair transplant work?
The below infographic tells us how this procedure works.
- First, we make minute punches near hair follicles / grafts
- Then we carefully extract and harvest the grafts
- Finally, we place them in the recipient site
This treatment can be done for hair loss in both men and women. For men, we carry out hair transplantation to restore facial hair as well.
Hair transplantation is done in either of the two ways:
- Strip harvesting – wherein small strips of skin surrounding the hair follicles are removed from the back of the scalp and implanted.
- FUE – FUE stands for Follicular Unit Extraction wherein individual follicular units are carefully removed and placed. FUE is conducted under local anaesthesia since extremely small punches are made at the donor site and subsequent skin punctures are made at the recipient site. This procedure allows us to cover the smallest of areas witnessing hair loss, thereby giving a realistic hair pattern.
FUE is the more popular technique followed these days given the precision of the treatment and the result seen thereafter. Post procedural care may be advised for a period of 7-10 days when regular dressing and wound care is needed.
How is hair transplant different from other hair growth treatments?
- The procedure is done under local anaesthesia
- It is labour intensive and can take anything between 6 to 10 hours, depending on the stage of hair loss
- Results are both long term and immediate. By immediate, we do not mean soon after the procedure but as soon as the implanted hair regrows