‘Pregnancy itching’ is a very common complaint experienced especially by women in their third trimester. Itchy skin usually goes hand in hand with dry skin. However, itching can also occur without dryness and usually starts on the stomach, often spreading all over the body. Skin care for itchy skin is almost the same as that for dry skin.
Tips to control pregnancy itching:
- Be comfortable in what you wear. Avoid fabrics that may cause your skin to itch. Wear loose cotton clothing; cotton is soft on the skin
- Dry skin leads to itching. Use a soap-free and/or perfume-free cleanser or cleansing bar and a moisturizing lotion to soften the skin
- Avoid products that increase dryness, such as harsh soaps and cleansers
- Avoid products containing irritants such as parabens, paraffin, propylene glycol, phthalates, etc.
- Put cold compress on your stomach to help soothe the itching
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day to keep your skin and body well hydrated
- Avoid caffeinated and aerated drinks
- Some detergents may irritate the skin and cause dryness and/or itching. Use a mild and fragrance-free laundry detergent and rinse your clothes well to make sure all the detergent is washed off
To book a consultation with our doctor, please do contact us.